You've waited for it all year long and it's finally here — Election Day 2012!!!
Now go vote. Then encourage some other people to go vote. Because votes are what win elections.
Polls in Alabama are open until 7 pm. If you are in line at your polling place (find it at the Sec. of State website or use google) before 7 pm you must be allowed to vote, so stay in line, no matter how long the wait. If you leave, you won't be able to get back in line and vote.
You must show ID in order to vote in Alabama. Some poll workers will probably ask for a photo ID today but a drivers license or other photo ID is not actually required by Alabama law. These are the valid forms of ID that will allow you to vote:
- Utility bill of voter with voter's name and address
- Bank statement with voter's name and address
- Government check with voter's name and address
- Paycheck with voter's name and address
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the State of Alabama (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the State of Alabama)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by any of the other 49 states (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of that State)
- Valid identification card (authorized by law) issued by the government of the United States of America (including any branch, department, agency, or entity of the federal government
- Valid United States passport
- Valid Alabama hunting license
- Valid Alabama fishing license
- Valid Alabama pistol/revolver permit
- Valid pilot's license issued by the FAA or other authorized agency of the federal government
- Valid United States military identification
- Birth certificate (certified copy)
- Valid Social Security card
- Naturalization document (certified copy)
- Court record of adoption (certified copy)
- Court record of name change (certified copy)
- Valid Medicaid card
- Valid Medicare card
- Valid electronic benefits transfer (EBT) card
- Government document that shows the name and address of the voter
If a poll worker challenges you for providing one of these forms of ID to vote, call the Alabama Democratic Party immediately at 800-995-3386. Also call the election protection hotline, 866-OUR-VOTE. Store those numbers in your phone before you go to the polls Again, DO NOT LEAVE WITHOUT VOTING. Your main goal today is to VOTE. Let the lawyers sort the rest of it out next week, but don't leave your polling place without voting.
Remember, one mark (see image at right) can do the whole front side of the ballot. If you vote straight ticket Democratic, your vote will be cast for President Obama and Vice President Joe Biden, plus all the other Democrats on the ballot. It's that simple.
Now get out and vote and after you vote, do something else to help.