Fast forward twenty years and picture this:
- A 75 year-old — in need of cataract surgery — driving a school bus.
- An arthritic 72 year old kindergarten teacher struggling to keep up with her charges.
- A 69 year old cop in need of a new hip, chasing bad guys.
- A 74 year old firefighter, trying to carry (drag?) an unconcious adult out of a blazing house fire.
- A 71 year old airframe and powerplant mechanic, with macular degeneration, looking for cracks in the wing spar of an airliner
- A 73 year old nurse straining to move her knee-replacement patient from the surgical gurney to the hospital bed — this is going to hurt.
These people can't retire, because Medicare is not there for them, thanks to the Orwellian “Path to Prosperity” of Paul Ryan and all the Republican Members of Congress who are determined to privatize Medicare and Social Security on top of raising the retirement age for everyone. Imagine how devastating their scheme will be for older American workers.
Medicare as our parents knew it won't be there.
Instead, retirees will get a voucher that covers a portion of what private insurance will cost — and covers less every year. To afford health care they'll have to keep on working … until they die. And if they can no longer hold a job, well … you can see where that goes.
There will be rallies in 18 states — 52 of them at last count — on April 27 and 28 where current retirees will demonstrate how hard or even impossible it would be for them to continue working at the jobs they retired from.
Go to www.worktilwedie.org … look around, sign the petition, sign up for the Virtual Rally if there isn't one in Alabama — and there isn't yet — and then tell your friends about this. This is important. It's our future. How do you want to spend it?