Remember the story? The Greeks spent 10 years fighting against Troy and got nowhere until the Greeks had an idea to trick the Trojans by putting a surprise into the “victory trophy” horse offered by the Greeks. The moral: not everything is as it appears to be.
It seems a foregone conclusion that there is sufficient political opposition to repeal the Affordable Care Act because most people have been convinced that the ACA is bad even though the most significant “badness” falls on 5% of Americans. The remaining 95% think the so-called “individual mandate” to buy subsidized health insurance is bad for the 5% folks. There are many things that my friends like about the ACA, and realization hasn’t yet set in that these things will go away. That has not yet connected and won’t connect until my friends get the memo about their kids getting cancelled from their insurance.
Enter the Trojan Horse to save the day!
The original Trojan Horse looked so beautiful! It was great and awesome and better than anything before – an offering from those that finally saw the error of their ways. Paul Ryan and Tom Price (the designate to lead our healthcare system) have pushed a big box surprise in front of everyone in Alabama. This prize is covered with bells, whistles and signs that say “It’s the best.” There are also some small signs near the bottom that say “Do not look inside.” Of course, Mrs. Bubba, in her infinite wisdom, asked “What’s inside?” Yikes!
Put a trunk on that horse and you have the “Trojan Elephant” of TrumpCare.
For anyone in Alabama making less than $100,000 a year (that’s about 80% of us) some real bad things are inside and are about to be unleashed on us. My friend over on Troy Lane told me I was overreacting.
The slogans slapped on the side of the package say things that sound like gibberish.
- “You will love your HSA!”
- “Forget ObamaCare subsidies – you get real tax credits!”
- “Tax Fairness included at no charge!”
- “You don’t have to buy anything!” “
- Sell insurance across state line – WOW!”
- “Medicaid Block Grants are the answer!”
Whaaaat? Bubba needs a couple of beers! That didn’t help…
Open up door #1! The Horse contains the best new thing in the world! You get to put money aside in a savings account so you can pay the $4,000 single and $8,000 family out-of-pocket cost Blue Cross that BCBS charges for a HSA policy.
It doesn’t matter if you have ObamaCare or you get insurance at work. You get to save money! But…..
Mrs. Bubba quickly pointed out that our family does not have an “extra” $8,000 a year once we pay for housing, utilities, SEC Network, car notes, gas, credit cards, food and the dreaded category of miscellaneous. Good point. My checkbook shows we are operating just above break even. I don’t know any fat cats that have that kind of money floating around. Most families in Alabama don’t make $60k a year. I don’t see a big raise in my future so how are we, or you, going to take advantage of the best new thing in the world? If saving money (I don’t have) to pay for healthcare is my prize in door #1 – I’m screwed.
Maybe there is something behind door #2. The idea of a tax credit sounds good, right? Most people signed up for ObamaCare get about 90% of their healthcare premium paid for even if the premium goes up.
- Door #2 takes that subsidy away and gives many folks a $2,100 tax credit to help pay their monthly insurance premium.
- The national average ObamaCare subsidy is $3,300.
$2,100 compared to $3,300. Just how helpful is door#2 anyway? I need at least 4 doors please.
What happens when my premium goes up again? The $2,100 stays the same and my hole gets deeper. Obviously the Einstein that thought this up can’t add as I’m now $1,200 deeper in the hole and the hole will probably get deeper every year.
We heard from former President Bill Clinton in 2008 that Republicans are “bad at arithmetic.” TrumpCare proves he was telling the truth.