With barely a month to go before the election, Alabama GOP candidates are desperate. After controlling the entire state government for the past 4 years, they now have to make a choice: defend their dismal record to voters or run against someone who's not on the ballot & never will be again – President Obama.
Guess which one they're choosing?
You can't really blame them. Let's look at their record of “accomplishments:”
- Passed a budget that spent money they didn't have and then threatened to throw Grandma out of the nursing home if voters didn't raid the state savings account.
- Closed state veterans' assistance offices to “save money.”
- An attorney general more interested in “suing President Obama” than taking care of the state's business.
- Allowed a state agency to use education money to build a $100k WordPress Web site to promote Alabama industry.
- Handed millions to out of state companies with no way to track the value the state gets from its corporate welfare handouts.
- Delayed the trials of many criminal defendants by under-funding state crime labs.
- Spent $136,000 to buy the rights to the phrase “Sweet Home Alabama.”
- Paid the governor's crony friends out of Homeland Security money to get around state personnel rules.
- Passed an unconstitutional immigration law full of “unintended consequences” that attracted negative attention worldwide, snared a couple of auto executives, & required the payment of $230k in legal fees to the plaintiffs who sued to block it.
- Presided over a revolving door of state legislators leaving for lucrative public sector jobs & sticking voters with the bill for special elections.
- Passed unconstitutional abortion restrictions that costs hundreds of thousands to defend.
- Issued a $72,000 contract to Bob Riley cronies to look up information available for free on Google.
- Passed the Alabama Accountability Act – aka “the Great Private School Giveaway” – in the dead of night & allowed Bob Riley to profit again.