For AL-05 Congressman Mo Brooks, a “charm offensive” translates into “no charm; always offensive.” Hey, if there’s a budget crisis, national tragedy, or disaster, you can be sure that Brooks will seize the spotlight with some deplorable display of dickishness.
Alabama Rep. Mo Brooks said on Thursday that the American Muslim community would “kill every homosexual in the United States of America” if it had its way.
Furthermore, he continued, Democrats look the other way because Muslims vote. Ahem… so do gays….
To be fair, the Congressman’s concern for the safety of the GLBTQ community does set him apart from this guy, but the bar isn’t that high.
Later, Brooks spurned the Muslim community’s demand for an apology with this statement that doubled down on dickishness by refusing an apology and insulting the name of the group that asked for it.
“There is no way on gods green Earth that I’ll apologize for CAIR or the Council for American Islamic Republic, as it’s commonly known in Washington, for pointing out that Islam inspires people to hate and kill homosexuals, kill people and for that matter, other non-Muslim peoples.”
Rabbi Elizabeth Bahar of Huntsville helped organize and participate in an interfaith service at the Huntsville Islamic Center in December 2015.
She has launched a petition that asks Brooks to meet with the local Muslim community.
If you’ve watched Mo Brooks’ career – maybe we should say… if you could stomach watching his career – you know this is nothing new. In the past, Brooks has freely shared his opinions and bizarre conspiracy theories about many groups and individuals in our country:
- President Obama is using “Happy Meals” to entice immigrant children to make the insanely dangerous journey from their home country to the US.
- Those immigrant kids better watch out too, since Brooks said he wanted to do “anything sort of shooting” undocumented immigrants.
- In fact, his solution to unemployment was to “evict illegal aliens.” Brooks was sure that would free up those coveted farm worker and chicken plant jobs that so many Alabama workers line up for.
- The Democratic Party has launched a “War on Whites” in an attempt to divide the country.
- He called members of the Congressional Progressive Caucus “Socialists,” and had to ask that the Congressional Record be modified to remove his remarks.
- Brooks said that Syrian refugees are dodging ISIS, running from war zones, and risking drowning because they want a “paid vacation” in the US.
- In 2010, he called his opponent’s focus on jobs for the 5th district as a “diversionary tactic” to take attention away from Nancy Pelosi – who runs in a California district, not Alabama.
- Brooks insulted Hurricane Sandy victims (and his congressional colleagues) when he essentially said they “had it coming” because they lived in a “disaster prone area.” Ahem… AL-05 is “ground zero” for tornado damage in Alabama, but Mo makes sure that his district gets the “money we deserve” after an outbreak.
- Brooks ran & voted against “Obamacare,” then voted against a proposal that would have required federal representatives to disclose whether they accept federally funded health insurance.
- After explaining that he opposes expansions to federal spending – except in his AL-05 district – Brooks refused to criticize GOP presidential hopefuls to wanted to cut NASA funding.
It was so bad in 2011, that the Huntsville City Council hired is 2010 Democratic opponent, Steve Raby, to do Brooks’ job and be an advocate for the district in Congress.
You know… we can do better. Brooks has a Democratic opponent this fall. Will Boyd is running for Congress. He needs your support, your contributions, and your vote. Help him spread the word!